Bob started at Matamata Intermediate when it was on the college campus and continued his Secondary education here for five years. He passed School Cert in 1956, University Entrance in 1957 and Higher School Certificate in 1958. Bob won a scholarship to Lincoln University in 1958.
At College he was involved in all sports: 1st 15 Rugby, 1st II Cricket, Athletics team and any other code that required a player!
Bob headed for Lincoln University on leaving school and graduated with a B Ag Sc degree.
He has had a diverse working career starting as a Farm Advisor then getting into Consultancy, Lecturing etc. A full summary of Bob’s career follows:
1963 Graduated Bachelor of Agricultural Science Degree Lincoln University – Canterbury
1963 – 1968 Farm Advisory Officer. NZ Dept of Agriculture Tauranga and Morrinsville
1968 – 1977 Agricultural Management Consultant
G P McGowan and Associates – Australia
- Assignments throughout Victoria, South Australia, NSW and Queensland
- 1971 – several months assignment in Iran
1978 – 1982 Senior Lecturer in Farm Management Lincoln University
1983 – 1985 Secretary/Economist – NZ Meat Industry Association Wellington
Secretary – Meat Exporters Council of NZ
Secretary – NZ Bacon Curers Association NZ
1986 – 2001 Executive Director
- Poultry Industry Association of NZ Inc
- Egg Producers Federation of NZ Inc
- NZ Feed Manufacturers Association Inc
1987 Established NZ Guild of Food Writers
2002 -2004 Consultant – Egg Producers Federation
After these many years of a very interesting career Bob retired in 2005.
He has travelled extensively during his working life to USA, UK, France, Germany (East and West), Holland, Denmark, Ireland, Japan, Australia (lived there 1968-77), Philippines, India, Iran (worked for three months in 1973 when the Shah was still in power) and other Pacific locations on holiday.
Bob has shared his knowledge and been an integral part of the following organisations:
- MAF(Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries) Biosecurity Consultative Forum
- MAF Agriculture Security Consultative Committee (ASCC)
- MAF National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC)
- MAF Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Advisory Council (AVMAC)
- Animal Behaviour and Welfare Research Consultative Committee (ABWCC)
- MAF Animal Compounds/Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Industry Liaison Group
- MAF Antibiotic Review Steering Committee
- Arable Food Industry Council of NZ
- MOH (Ministry of Health) Steering Group – Enteric Zoonotic Disease Research in NZ
- Primary Industry Alternate Member of the Biosecurity Council – Ministerial Appointment
- NZ Institute of Management
- NZ Business Planning Society
- NZ Employers Federation – Wellington Council
He has retired to the Bethlehem Country Club in Tauranga but obviously never rests. Bob is the Past President of Lincoln University Alumni, been involved in Rotary and Probus and is an active member of the Tauranga Golf Club as well as being part of the Club’s administration.
Bob has a daughter Bridgit in Auckland and son Sean in Wellington plus a granddaughter, Morgan.